Thursday, January 31, 2013

Avoid the Fitness Trends

Yes, you heard me right.  Most, if not nearly all fitness trends are just that - trends.  People are always looking for some new way to exercise.  I'm not sure if it's just pure boredom or if people think the basics won't work for them. 

I can acknowledge the fact there needs to be some variety in training, but I don't think it should be at the expense of the basics.  This is especially true when we start combining movements that don't make any sense.  Or, when the individual hasn't become proficient in either one beforehand.

People still need to be proficient and use the basics of exercise for the majority of the time.  Truth is, the basics work and work quite well; The rest is all just window dressing.  And in case you didn't know, when I say basics, I'm referring to squatting, pressing, pulling, lunging, etc. 

That being said, there are a few trends that have produced value.  Unfortunately, chances are, using a specific method exclusively isn't going to get you very far.  For example, pilates, yoga, stability ball training and kettlebell training have been a bit trendy over the years.  The provide some use, but probably shouldn't be relied upon exclusively.  

Notice I said "some" use. Personally, I use stuff from each of these disciplines.  I just don't make it the cornerstone of my programs because I know they probably won't get the result I want by themselves.

Why?  You guessed it. Because I think everything still comes down to the very basics.  Sure, I can include yoga as part of my warm-up process.  Some of the movements I recognize as highly valuable for the improvement of mobility/flexibility. 

It's not however, going to do much for strength and power as some have claimed.  I always chuckle a bit when I see classes with the name, Power Yoga.  What's so powerful about not moving?

Something tells me plyometrics or olympic lifting will provide a slightly larger increase in power output.  The point of this statement is to use the correct tool for the job.

Just remember, the basics do work and work well.  Add some stuff from the kettlebell training people or stability ball training if you like, but you should focus the majority of your time on the basics.  If you're not getting what you want from your training program, something is wrong.  Fix the variable, and you'll start seeing progress again.








Paul Yost is the Owner/Operator of Paramount Fitness Training, a fitness company based in Houston, TX. Find more about his services, get more free fitness information, and nutrition/supplement products at personaltrainersinhoustontexas.com personaltrainersinhoustontexas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment