Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Anatomy 101 - Know Your Body

When I looked up the word anatomy, I found several definitions but I like this one best. Anatomy is the body structure of an animal including the internal position of organs and bones and external features. In reading that definition I realized that I had spent too much time focusing on the "body structure" and "external features" of people I see in the media and very little time focusing on me. Growing up I was the girl who wanted to look like Janet Jackson, because she had the perfect "body structure" and "external features" that all the boys in my high school class wanted. No, I wasn't a big kid, but I wasn't the smallest girl in class either. I just wanted to look as good in my clothes as Janet did in hers. I studied all her moves and even learned the whole dance routine from her Pleasure Principle video. That wasn't easy considering the fact that I couldn't record the video and watch it over and over to get the dance moves just right. As I got older I realized that Janet and I were not shaped the same way, so I had to accept my body for what it was and move on.

I learned about body types when I took a class that was offered at my church. The instructor, Althea Lawton-Thompson of Aerobics, Yoga & More? Fitness and Dance Studios, explained the three basic body types and what type of workout routine works best for each type. Then she did one-on-one consultations with everyone in the class and told them what there body type was. After the class I realized that I was looking at anatomy the wrong way. No wonder I can't get the six pack abs that Janet Jackson has; we don't have the same body structure. My body is built to gain muscle easily, but it also packs on the fat just the same. I have an all around athletic build which will help me lose weight quickly as long as I am consistent with my strength training. With that in mind I decided to take Althea's advice and just do me. I began to workout smarter and not harder. I studied my body type, changed my exercise routine and started seeing some really good results.

Search anywhere on the web and you'll find lots of ways to learn about your body type. The choices are the Ectomorph, the Mesomorph, the Endomorph, or you could be a Combination of two body types. The three main body types make up the physique that your body's genetics will naturally follow. So it's a good idea to try to find your body type before you start to work with a trainer or buy new exercise equipment. The condition of your body type has more to do with bone structure and your body's frame than the muscle tissue itself. No matter what body type you are, there is a nutrition and exercise plan that will work just for you to get your body in the best shape possible. If you're in the Atlanta area and you want to learn more about Althea and her studio, please visit aymfitness.com aymfitness.com.








Felicia B. White is a photographer, song writer and poet. She graduated from the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale and moved to Georgia with her husband 12 years ago. Felicia and her husband found a church home at Berean Christian Church in 2005 and they have been using their ever growing faith in God to lose weight and build a better marriage. Felicia is writing poetry and weight loss articles to help her win her battle with weight. Hope you enjoy the articles. To read other articles please visit healthylivingdietplans.com healthylivingdietplans.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment