Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Some Thoughts Derived From A Life In The Gym

I have spent nearly 25 years in local gyms pounding away at weight training using natural bodybuilding or power lifting, and usually some combination of the two. I can't begin to tell you how many hours I have invested in this pursuit. If I'd applied the time to working on some money-making endeavor, I'd have been retired to Aruba or something by now.

Like most every ironhead that gets hooked on this stuff, I've got my reasons for doing it. The obvious first choice is to look good. And being the strongest kid on the block would be impressive, too. But there's more to it than that. I have found lifting to be a great stress reliever after a day at work. Natural bodybuilding and working out in general can be a marvelous way to improve self esteem, self image, and confidence. The long term benefits from proper training are significant, too.

Even with all these very good reasons for pumping iron, I guess the bottom line is- I have fun doing it! This is something that I can do for me, for my own satisfaction and sense of accomplishment, and socialize a little while doing it. It ain't crocheting doilies, but it's a hobby nonetheless, one that aids in achieving the mind-body connection.

My competition is me, and I can be incredibly demanding. This develops mental toughness and focus, which spills over into all aspects of daily living. For me, it's weight training and natural bodybuilding. For you this might be martial arts training, running, or yoga. Regardless of the exercise discipline, it's also come to be about structure and self-discipline, which are prerequisites for a naturally healthy lifestyle. Let's face it; you haven't got a prayer of achieving robust mental and physical health if you live in chaos, so get serious about living well.

Let me illustrate my point. In the time I have been training, I have seen literally thousands of people come and go in the gym. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard, "Well, I used to squat 500 or 600 pounds in high school, but I'm just getting back into it now." And this from a guy who can barely lift himself off the bench. So, I watch, hoping this will be the one who surprises me and actually trains. Typically, he'll show up for a workout two or three times a week for maybe a month. Then he starts missing a day, sometimes two days a week. Then you realize you haven't seen him for almost a month. The next time you do see him and ask where he's been, you get something like, "Oh I've been working a lot," or "My wife and I have been remodeling our house, but I'm going to get back into it." Yeah, right!

Now, I am not advocating living in the gym every free moment. Been there and done that. Believe me, all that will get you is overtrained and injured, and you'll miss a lot of good times and worthwhile things in this life. But I am advocating self discipline and consistency in your chosen exercise endeavor, natural bodybuilding or otherwise. Don't spend your money on club dues, and only show up two weeks before that big beach vacation trying to get buff at the last minute. Won't happen. And it won't help your overall health that much, either.

It is possible to achieve reasonable health and fitness goals without becoming obsessive about it all. It is not possible to achieve those goals by becoming sloppy and complacent about it all! This is about arriving at a place of balance in your life by making sound lifestyle choices for your long-term health. Forget about instant gratification here.

Remember: Slow and steady wins this race.








Bill Pennington is co-author of NaturalHealthLifestyles.com and has been a natural health enthusiast for many years. As a business executive for almost 20 years, Bill understands the importance of a solid exercise routine and has always enjoyed bodybuilding and power lifting as his routine of choice. NaturalHealthLifestyles.com NaturalHealthLifestyles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment