Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Confessions of a Former Kick-Boxer

I was kick-boxing back when most of the population never even heard of it. Nowadays, it seems, everyone is an expert. I flinch at what I see at the fitness centers or community gyms sometimes, when the young jocks strut around with all the fancy gear. Someone sold them the membership and the clothing, but not the skill to go with it.

I got into kick-boxing when in my early twenties. Different martial arts really had not helped me much and I was tired of getting picked on or whupped. In the eighties, the wispy, point-scoring martial artist was being replaced by the heavily conditioned contact fighter. Now the typical North American could forego years of disciplined training and get down to "pummeling an opponent."

The kick-boxing training was different. Even my former distance running had not prepared me for the upper body endurance needed to last in the ring. Still, I persisted and after a few months dealt with a scuffle with a couple of antagonists. Later, I competed as an amateur and it immensely improved my confidence.

Unfortunately, the hits to the head were not good for my studies and I had to struggle through vocational school. Later, it would effect my health and relationships. Over-training was another problem that I had as I was addicted to the training and the fatigue. I became a sort of exercise anorexic. This included mood swings, sleep problems, lack of appetite, fatigue, inability to concentrate and irritability. Even today, I still have to keep myself in check when I train too much. One way to tell if you are over-training is to check your pulse. If it is accelerated, then you have trained too hard and too much. Take a week of light training.

After age 35, I started visiting the chiropractor for hip problems. Too many hours of roundhouse kicking the heavy bag. Eventually, I learned Pilates (Mat Level 1 instructor), kung fu and Ashtanga Yoga. My back and hips felt much better, but I still had some hip and back numbness. Finally, an unarmed combat instructor, Rick Volpato, told me to "work the bag, don't let the bag work you." What I learned from his guidance was to re-develop snap into my kicks and punches and not just hammer away at the bag. Punches and kicks are suppose to send shock waves through the bag and not make the bag just swing.

So, re-learning proper technique kept me going long enough to teach classes for several years and compete for a welterweight title at age 40. This was a challenge as I had not had much sparring practice in years and mostly trained cardio kick-boxing classes. But, here is the fact: Good technique, as well as distance and timing coupled with some old guy patience won the match. This taught me that a forty plus guy does not have to hammer away at the equipment like a twenty year old might. It also gave me a whole new respect for the forms of kung fu, which I have also practiced for years prior to the match.

A note on kung fu forms. Many kung fu forms are more suited for concentration, health and flexibility. They have that re-charging ability that most western fitness methods lack. However, if done properly, kick-boxing training has its own exhilarating sensation. I find that older gents and ladies enjoy learning kick-boxing for the confidence and a little bit of that aggressive spirit that lies buried in us all.








Doug Setter holds a Bachelor's of Food and Nutrition. He has served as a paratrooper and U.N. Peacekeeper, has completed 5 full marathons and climbed Mt. Rainier. He held a welterweight kick-boxing title at age 40. He consults clients in alcohol reduction, stomach-flattening, kick-boxing and nutrition. He is the author of Stomach Flattening, Reduce Your Alcohol Craving and One Less Victim. Visit his website: 2ndwindbodyscience.com 2ndwindbodyscience.com

No comments:

Post a Comment