Saturday, March 9, 2013

Do You Have Fear About Teaching Yoga - How to Overcome It

When I was taking yoga, I found out that there was a teacher training program available. My first concern was that I wanted to just learn more and not be a teacher. Could I do that? The instructor said that was fine, but to keep an open mind. My interest was in the profound changes I found in my flexibility, ability to deal with stress and physical energy. The course covered meditation and the underlying philosophy behind the postures.

There were some people who were taking the teacher training class because they wanted to teach at a health spa or work at a yoga studio. They were comfortable in group settings and had previous teaching background through other holistic modalities. One woman was an actress and taught fitness classes. Another class member taught elementary school students. There were a few people like myself, that could not picture running a class.

As the course went on over ten months, many types of fears dropped for myself and others. It often was subtle and not easy to formulate. People found themselves, less reactive in work situations or around their parents. I found myself able to handle difficult situations with less stress.

Near the end of the training, we had to pair up with someone and teach the class. I had a lot of fear, but picked music that I found inspiring and a yoga sequence of asanas that always left me in a more elevated state than before. This was helpful to get in the zone and to try to find the best way to help others experience the benefits of the poses. I wasn't totally relaxed, but it was not the terror I had expected it to be.

During the summer I had the opportunity to substitute for my teacher when she went to India and this was a very positive experience. When people thank you after a class and comment on the difference it made in their week, it eases a lot of anxiety and puts the focus on others rather than yourself. I was offered a class during the fall of that year and it became the best part of my week.








Learn About the Benefits of Yoga and Teaching Opportunities

Read more about how to becomeayogainstructor.org Become a Yoga Instructor and find out about becomeayogainstructor.org/yoga-salaries.html Yoga Salaries as well as teaching chair yoga to seniors.

No comments:

Post a Comment