Monday, July 22, 2013

Laughter Yoga Clubs - Why I Am Running a Laughter Club

It was May 2005 and Dr Kataria was coming to Melbourne to run a laughter workshop at Williamstown. A friend had emailed to tell me that the 'laughter guru' was coming and I was thrilled to hear that, as I had seen about the idea of getting people to laugh together on a current affairs program on television, as a service to mankind. What a fantastic notion indeed. What's more, they are usually free.

Excitedly I climbed into my little car and drove across the big West Gate Bridge, which was a big thing for me to do at the time. Well, it was fantastic and I had the best day. People were enthusiastically involved in the talk and then the laughter and breathing exercises. After that I decided to be involved and start a club and so booked into the upcoming Laughter Leader Training Workshop.

And so 'my' Laughter Club was born! We got off to a good start, with the local Knox Leader community newspaper running a wonderful article to promote it, as World Laughter Day was coming up. From there it has fluctuated, people coming and going, some turning up even only once a year. Yet, every year the three local newspapers run free articles with a photograph when it is World Laughter Day. This certainly is very kind and helpful to increase membership and many people are quite inhibited, keeping the newspaper cutting for quite a while before suddenly deciding to come. Usually that follows a week or so of feeling down in the dumps and realising they could benefit from laughter and so turn up unexpectedly.

I encourage people to never, ever give up running a club and instead to hang in there, because from my experience, when there is media coverage, a lot of new people come along. For some it is only once and for others they become regular attendees. I found that if it was too cold, or too hot, or on a Sunday when they could come on Saturday, or for whatever reason, people are slow to commit to something that is most beneficial for them to do. However that is the name of the game, people are given this wondrous opportunity and it is their choice to come and taste it and return for more or to decide that it is not for them. Isn't that a fabulous thing, we do have free choice to do with our time what we wish to, on the whole.

Many times it felt like it was time to throw in the towel when something would happen, such as a phone enquiry or one lady coming when I shared that I was stopping after that particular day. One little thing kept up my hope and desire to serve the community with something that I strongly believed in. The last time I seriously was going to give it up, I mused to myself, what if I instead found another place more suitable for me and do not make a big deal out of it, just do it?

After two and a half years we changed from the lovely Arboretum park to a nice park in the Ferntree Gully area. The Arboretum was in hindsight was not the best place to be. It was rather open with people walking through where we laughed, apparently causing some participants to feel self conscious. Instead we found a new lovely park, alongside running water, with beautiful large gum and oak trees. We have been at this venue for two and a half years months now and the club is really becoming grounded and strong. Only this Sunday one lady came who had not been for over a year. We laugh uproariously, having lots of fun, deep breathing and role plays. Being a community club, it is free and everyone is welcome.

A helpful thing to do since we do not meet weekly, is to send a reminder email to people who come along from time to time.

It is very rewarding being involved as a Laughter Club Leader. There exists an opportunity to encourage people to take turns leading the laughter exercises, which helps them to feel it is the member's club and not my club. We have a lot of fun and welcome people with love and laughter every time, whether they are regular attendees, once off, or attend only occasionally.

In addition and not to be sneezed at, I have found it a significant opportunity for me to experience personal growth, with all the ups and downs. It has helped my confidence and from humble beginnings I am asked to facilitate laughter therapy for a business or community group. This would not have occurred had it not been for the leadership skills that were developed by running the a community Laughter Club.

Finishing up I would like to thank Dr Kataria and Mrs Madhuri Kataria for instigating this great movement and am particularly pleased that I hung in there when the going got tough. The rewards are many of facilitating a club and it is uplifting to see members so totally involved and enthusiastic, coming right out of their shell.

The world could do with more laughter, could it not? Perhaps if you feel moved by this article you can Google where your nearest laughter club is. Dr Kataria encourages everyone to think about starting a laughter club in their community, as his motto is 'world peace through laughter' and it is a wonderful experience coming together with open hearts. Laughter yoga has many positive health benefits and the power of laughter cannot be under-estimated when done on a regular basis. I encourage you to experience a focused laughter therapy session for yourself!








Lynette Mitchell is a Master of Laughter & Spiritual Mentoring. She leads the Ferntree Gully Laughter Club and facilitates laughter yoga therapy sessions for groups and businesses. Lynette is a mentor, life coach and facilitates life coaching and weekly self mastery classes and workshops. She is a regular contributor to The New Age Tribune, an online spiritual site.

Lynette's website is lynettemitchell.com.au lynettemitchell.com.au.

No comments:

Post a Comment