Saturday, April 5, 2014

Why Would a Skinny Guy Train in Pilates?

O.K. I was skeptical for about 4 or 5 years when I heard about the Pilates exercise system. "Here we go again," I thought. "The movie stars are doing it do it must be the end all be all. Besides something that dancers and actors do seemed to effeminate. It was strange enough that I had started instructing women's kick-boxing. I mean who would have thought that there was such a demand?

But I digress. I had heard bits and pieces of Pilates this and Pilates that. But, I never really took a serious look until some of my women's kick-boxing trainees started talking and demonstrating these "Pilates" moves. O.K. some of it looked difficult... I mean challenging. So, I practiced some of the movements without much thought. Then one day, this pretty, a bit-over weight lady showed up after several months of absence. Wow. She had completely trimmed down and did she look hot! It almost challenged my professional attitude just looking at her. So, what happened? Was it the great nutritional advice that I gave her. Well, a bit (I'd like to think anyway). "Pilates training," she explained.

So, I asked her to demonstrate this style of exercise. It was kin of weird, but it made sense. Strengthen the muscle STABILIZERS and the big muscles will be O.K. So, I signed up for the $900 instructor's course. There I was one of two guys in a class of women. Almost as awkward as when I took my aerobics instructor training. Except with the aerobics, I could wing it with my runner's stamina. Not so with the Pilates.

Everyone else in the class was some kind of dancer, physiotherapist or gymnast. So, I was the awkward dude. To complicate things, I was also experiencing back and hip pain and was visiting a chiropractor, acupuncturist and physiotherapist. At over 44 years, I had run too many miles on pavement and thrown too many round house kicks. Plus my old motorcycle accident just kept acting up.

But, a few weeks into the Pilates instructor course something started to happen. No, I did not start getting more girlfriends and Hollywood fame. My hip pain started going away. I could also do a squat or clean with weights without falling to one side. I was getting stronger in the lower body without the use of weights. Go figure. I also seemed to have lost a recurring muscle pain behind my right should blade. My Pilates instructor, Monique, explained that many of us were born imperfect and these imperfections come to light later in life.

Well, I was sold on the Pilates and started teaching it. Later, I also learned and taught power yoga. While I admit that the Pilates can get as dry as watching grass grow, the stuff works. It is also a relief to know that the inventor, Joseph H. Pilates was a smart, tough dude, who had trained former world heavy weight boxing champion Max Schnmeling.

While Pilates will not develop kick-butt stamina and muscular endurance, it can strengthen your overall structure and keep the older athlete in the game. It does make you look better and more confident when you are standing taller. When people stand taller, they look leaner. I also attribute Pilates training to assisting me climbing Mt. Rainier while carrying a 60 pound back pack.

I highly recommend the following exercises: Roll like a Ball, Roll up and sawing.

For more information read the download: 2ndwindbodyscience.com/stomach.html Stomach Flattening








Doug Setter holds a Bachelor's of Food and Nutrition. He has served as a paratrooper and U.N. Peacekeeper, has completed 5 full marathons and climbed Mt. Rainier. He held a welterweight kick-boxing title at age 40. He consults clients in alcohol reduction, stomach-flattening, kick-boxing and nutrition. He is the author of Stomach Flattening, Reduce Your Alcohol Craving and One Less Victim. Visit his website: 2ndwindbodyscience.com 2ndwindbodyscience.com

No comments:

Post a Comment