Tuesday, February 19, 2013

How to Pick a Yoga Teacher Training Program in New York City

Being in New York City we are fortunate to have the opportunity to choose from all of these great studios. What you want to get out of your teacher training and also what particular style you practice can be the determining factor for what studio you choose to be a part of.

-Chose the style that resonates with you and the style you'd like to eventually teach

-Do your due diligence: check out a variety of studios. Yoga City NYC is a great resource that lists many studios and styles that are New York-specific.

-Make sure they are Yoga Alliance Accredited studio

-Chose the style and studio that resonates with who you are as a person. If you're not comfortable there, the training won't be worthwhile.

-Don't rush: There are a lot of options in New York. Take your time to explore them all before committing or you might miss what would've been your perfect fit.

-If your torn between two New York City studios, consider choosing the one that's closest to where you live or work. You'll be spending a lot of time there...an easier commute will make your entire experience more pleasurable.

-Talk to former trainees - Many New York studios have fancy websites and a lot of marketing money...only by talking to their actual trainees will you know what the experience was really like.

-In New York, teacher trainings are still not regulated by the government. You can fight to keep it that way by getting involved or donating to the Yoga for New York Advocacy Fund, otherwise many smaller, privately owned studios will be forced to shut their teacher trainings down due to the financial burden it would cause.

When I was considering where to do my happinesslifetime.com yoga teacher training, I shopped around at various studios. Most of them told me I would come out of the training with a solid knowledge of alignment and sequencing. Then I happened upon the studio where I eventually trained, which gave me much more than just the knowledge of the poses and alignment and sequencing. I also learned about the subtle body and the energetic principles of yoga; yogic philosophy, meditation, pranayama, and kriya techniques. Since these aspects appealed to me, I knew I had found the right studio for me. But I had searched New York far and wide for months to have the knowledge base to know that this was the right fit.








Yoga Lover and Teacher! I did the Ishta ishtayoga.com/teacher_training Yoga Teacher Training in New York City, but there are training programs throughout America and abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment