Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Joy of Japa (Mantra Meditation)

Meditation is at the heart of all Yoga practices. Typically, we attend a yoga class and squeeze and twist our bodies into various asanas to help release toxins, develop flexibility and become strong physically. This is sufficient for many people to maintain health and vitality, but for the seeker, this just doesn't quite cut it.. By "seeker" I mean the person who is thirsty for a deeper sense of themselves, which can only come through an experience which connects to something within.

I, myself have always been searching for some explanation of why the heck I'm here and why am I suffering so much. There had to be a reason for the madness that swirled inside me and thus manifested in misery in my life. When I took my first Yoga class,I was hooked, a spark had been ignited and I wanted to feel the inner peace and connection I felt all the time, not just after class.

Taking teacher training at the Integral Yoga Institute changed my life forever, but for me, I still wanted more, so I continued by taking a Meditation certification as well as Raja Yoga (The study of the Yoga sutras or philosophy). They required a consistent meditation practice which I did and found this practice the most important for maintaining this feeling of an elevated state of being.

This is not to say that I walk around on a cloud, but just that I feel connected to all things in all ways,at all times. People I meet have commented that I'm so calm and peaceful, and I can only attribute this to Japa. Japa means mantra repetition. What is a mantra? A mantra is a fully juiced sound wave that you repeat to yourself during meditation. Historically, mantras were not just phrases that someone decided would be good for meditation. These sounds were shown or revealed to highly evolved beings, such as sages, saints, and ascetics thousands of years ago and were recorded in the ancient yogic texts. Each one has a resonance with a different aspect of a spiritual path. For example, "Hari om" has the aspect of removing or neutralizing blockages. "Om shanti, develops peaceful vibrations. There are thousands of mantras but all we really need is something simple.

The important thing to remember when choosing to meditate regularly, is that sticking to one mantra is of utmost priority. The reason behind this is that all the time you're repeating the mantra the more powerful it becomes to transform the negative thought patterns into positive ones and to cultivate the relationship to the Joy of the real you inside. The minds thoughts step aside to create a clear pathway to peace, clarity, and wisdom. Enjoy the Japa!








To learn more about yoga and all that it can bring to your life please visit anandislivingyoga.com anandislivingyoga.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment