Thursday, September 19, 2013

The 5 Tools to Run Your Best Race

I'm a marathoner. I've trained for five and completed three, along with several half marathons in-between. Each race has been an journey with no guaranteed outcome. I trained for two that I wasn't able to run because of injury and a surgery that couldn't be delayed. My first marathon time was a disappointing 4:45. I was injured and clocked in slower than I wanted. But each subsequent marathon has been a PR, with my most recent finish at 3:56.

Want to know what one of the biggest tools in my training bag has been? Values. Yep, right along with extra sleep, rigorously good nutrition, potent yoga, periodic sports massage, proper footwear, good podcasts and running tunage, are values.

My PRs came from incorporating certain values in my training plan. No matter what training program works best for you-I swear by the Hanson plan-there are 5 keys to your success in optimizing your running performance and enjoyment. The best news is:

? they are free,

? they work with any training program that fits your running needs and goals,

? you can start practicing them on your own right away,

? and they work for a lifetime of great running, through all your changing abilities and goals.

The 5 keys to running your best race are the 5-to-Be-Alive values:

? Self-Respect

? Happiness

? Love

? Accountability,

? and Gratitude.

These five values, when we consciously implement them in our everyday lives and runs, have powerful effects. When we mindfully practice each of the 5-to-Be-Alive, they optimize our performance.

Our foundation for success is self-respect. When we practice self-respect we insist upon what is best for us. The alternative is no longer a tempting option. I want to keep improving. For me, running is my sport of choice, and I aim to be a healthy, consistent runner for decades to come with PRs yet to achieve.

Happiness is such a direct values guide. When we know we are taking good care of ourselves, we feel physically, emotionally and mentally happier. I'm happiest in the running groove, when my daily and weekly patterns are tuned to my training rhythm. I'd also venture to say the people in my life also are happier with a happier me.

The power of love is profound and simple. When we practice love-of ourselves, our loved ones and our life-we can achieve not only our goals, but our dreams. I love me, so I do what I need to do to keep my body and soul in a healthy balance. I love the people dear to me, and I run to keep me in the best mental, emotional and physical shape so that I can bring the best of me to those relationships.

Of course, we must practice accountability to keep us on track with our goals and training. If I put in the miles and the training, it shows. If I don't, it shows.

And lastly, when we are conscious about how many opportunities we experience in one day to feel gratitude, we are fueled by a potently positive power. Gratitude is something I practice with every step I run. Particularly because I've been sidelined with injuries, I am acutely grateful for having the health and strength to run. I don't take that capability for granted. Running and reaching the finish line are huge accomplishments in themselves, but I find the entire experience exponentially more meaningful because I dedicate each marathon as a charity fundraiser for someone dear to me who lost their health. I am grateful to be able to run for those who can't.

The miles I log are necessary to make it the finish line. But the values I train with are just as necessary to make that journey.

When we focus on the 5-to-Be-Alive values, there is no room for the old habits that might sap our commitment to running better and happier. There is no room for doubt, fear, frustration, inertia-all enemies to reaching our goals and being the best runners we can be.

Want to run your best races and enjoy the process even more? We invite you to further explore how the 5-to-Be-Alive values can help you optimize your training program.








Liz Stubbs is an award-winning writer and book author. She is co-author of her most recent book, Five-to-Be-Alive: The Values Plan for Living Your Best Life. For more resources and information, please visit thevaluesgals.com thevaluesgals.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment