Saturday, May 24, 2014

Make Brain Training a Habit - Best Practices in Brain Training to Get More Out of Life!

Life is about memories. Capturing memories is not all photographs and videos. Celebrating life's memories is to remember and share those memories to people we meet and interact.

Scientists believe that the brain starts to decline at age 25. But we can do something about it. Brain cells develop throughout life. The brain has the lifelong ability to reorganize neural pathways based on new experiences.

Remembering details of life's memories entail the use of our brain. It is very important to keep our mind sharp and focused in order for us not only to remember important events in our life, but also to do complex tasks.

Even in the attainment of goals, brain training is a must. Success is also a product of brain power. To be able to control our thoughts, mental cognition should be improved. This fuels our will power.

Thus, training the brain should be a habit. It sharpens our cognition, keeping the brain quick and young.

To start developing the habit of brain training, one has to be willing to do it. Unless our brain is open and willing to learn, only then can we process thoughts and emotions.

My family and friends attest that I have good memory. Yes, I do remember bits and pieces of not only pleasant and milestones in my life, but also those of others! Pondering on this realization, I ask myself this question: "How do I do it?" Let me recall the "best practices" which I feel contributed to my "brain power".

o I start and end the day with Caffeine --- a cup of coffee in the morning, and a cup of tea before going to bed.

I pick coffee that is naturally rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help to fight against free radicals, one of the main reasons of aging and memory loss. Coffee delivers a whole range of emotional benefits --- from stimulation to relaxation to refreshment. Soluble coffee is practically free of calories, with only 2kcal per cup. Drinking coffee at the start of day prepares me to take on tasks that require focused concentration. Coffee refreshes my mind during activities that demand prolonged alertness.

Tea on the other hand is known for its soothing and calming properties. Tea time for me is the ultimate stress break --- letting me stop, stretch and stimulate my senses. I returned relaxed, refreshed and ready to face whatever comes my way.

o Physical exercise also keeps brain healthy. Exercising at least 20 minutes, four times a week is a good practice. In my case, I alternate hiphop dance and yoga. Dancing I discovered, has a protective effect against Dementia, a significant loss of memory and mental function.

In a study that lasted two decades, researchers found people who danced more had less risk of developing dementia over the study period than people who danced once a week or less. The researchers believe that the increased blood flow to the brain may offer protections against brain diseases.

Before an exercise routine, it is good to do some "breath control". Inhaling and exhaling calms and centers to the self

o Reading useful materials and watching informative programs let us learn something new. Since learning is a lifelong process, the aforementioned activities will keep our minds fueled.

o Playing problem-solving games like puzzles, electronic games and analytical games also help.

o Watching our nutrition will keep us fit, at the same time feeds the brain. Brain food includes those rich in omega 3-fatty acids, antioxidants and brain-boosting supplements.

o Lately I found out about another "relaxation strategy" which I believe helps me to refresh my mind --- The Stillness Experiment, created by Stacey Mayo, founder of the Center for Balanced Living.

The Stillness Experiment is practicing "of being in the moment". When you are quiet and relaxed, you will be able to experience peace and will be able to discern wisely.

To know more of this experiment, you can visit this link -> stillnessexperiment.blogspot.com stillnessexperiment.blogspot.com

Lastly, live with expectations and challenges. As Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg, a neuropsychologist and clinical professor of Neurology at New York University School of Medicine puts it, "Use it and get more out of it."








Why Brain Training?
The brain needs care just like the body
New scientific research shows that we can improve the health and function of our brains with the right mental workouts. In a study funded by the National Institute of Health, scientists found that memory, reasoning and processing speed can be improved by brain training. Moreover, they found that cognitive improvements persisted for at least five years!
As seen on CNN, CNBC and FORBES: braintraining-games.org Brain Training Games and braintraining-games.org Brain Training Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment