Sunday, April 14, 2013

My Yoga Story

I began practicing Yoga a couple of years ago. At the time I was getting zero exercise. My musical gig, which was one of the best gigs I have ever had, was great, but not physically demanding of me.

So one day my wife Maria and I were driving around town doing some errands, when a woman and her young son appeared on the side of the road with a broken down car. Maria quickly yelled to me "Stop! Let's help them!" So along with another man who had also stopped to help, I pushed this woman's car a small distance up the street to the nearest parking lot. Well, I literally thought that I was having a heart attack! My heart began pounding faster than I ever thought possible, my legs were about to give out, all from pushing this car a few feet! For the next hour, my heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. This was my wake up call.

I had done nothing for too long. I needed to get into shape or I was going to DIE. I was only 34 years old at the time.

So a friend of mine -who I was telling this pathetic story of myself to- suggested that I come with him to a Bikram Yoga class. Reluctantly I said, "Yoga, I don't think so". But I eventually agreed, knowing that something had to be done. So I went. And I got hooked. This form of Hatha Yoga awakened something in me that had been dormant for too long. The physical benefits were obvious, as Bikram Yoga is a full and total body workout. But the mental benefits actually outweigh the physical ones. I quickly began to realize that there was a focus and calm pervading my existence, one that I could apply to every part of my life. It has now become part of who I am. I have more energy, more focus, more peace, more happiness.

Bikram Yoga has, in fact, changed my life. I would highly recommend trying it out. You can find a local studio where the instructor has been trained by Bikram himself and this staff under class finder. It is a series of 26 postures (asanas) and 2 breathing exercises performed in a room heated to at least 105 degrees. The heat does a few things: It allows for the release of toxins throughout the body, while at the same time alows the body to be more flexible, reducing the risk of injury. And believe me, at first the heat seems unbearable, but after a while you will LOVE the heat. After taking a Bikram yoga class you will have worked every muscle, joint, tendon, organ and ligament in your body, and realeased damaging toxins. It's amazing stuff! I encourage everyone to give it a try- All you need is yourself, a yoga mat, a towel and water!

Go get healthy!!

Health and Wellness,

Jamie








Jamie Hosmer is a proponent of health conscious eating and living, including proper nutrition, diet and exercise. Jamie's mission is to help educate people on how they can become healthier and happier, as well as protecting our environment by utilizing renewable energy sources and conservation practices.

productsforabetterworld.com productsforabetterworld.com
jamie-thewellblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-yoga-story.html jamie-thewellblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-yoga-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment