Monday, July 1, 2013

From Back Pain to Back Bliss - How a Little Chiropractic Work and an Unlikely Chair Saved My Life

Now I know what some of you are saying, "Once you've got back pain, you've got it forever." Well from my experience, that statement couldn't be further from the truth.

A couple of years ago I was preparing for a 4th of July BBQ. While bringing into the house the final bag full of supplies I managed to lift and turn the wrong way... POP! I clutched my lower back and groaned. I knew immediately something had gone wrong, my mind racing because the chiropractor I see works during the week and it was only Saturday morning, the long holiday weekend just beginning. Luckily I was able to get in first thing when the office opened the following week.

After a few weeks of adjustments my back began to feel better. Being the instant gratification person that I am, of course I suggested to the doctor that my time with him was about done. He agreed that while a reduced regiment with him was quickly approaching, it would be the maintenance program done on my own that would ensure that no further problems with my lower back would occur. Armed with an arsenal of back exercise instructions I thanked the good doctor and went on my way.

Like a good student I did my exercises daily...for the first two weeks. Then I got bored (also like a good student) and began to slack off. Every time I would visit the chiropractor for routine visits he would ask me how the exercises were going, I lied, "They are going great!" Sure enough, a few months later my back began to act up. Returning to the chiropractic office with my head down, I admitted to him that I hadn't done the exercises. The reason I gave was because I was just too busy (which is kinda true). He understood, did another week of adjustments, and I was better.

This time when I left he didn't recommend the exercises (he knew it was pointless). He handed me a referral for a special kind of ergonomic chair that would trick me into exercising my back - a chair that would not only strengthen the core muscles in my back but would help do it during my long works days while I sat at my office desk. This I could do. I immediately went online and began researching yoga ball chairs.

I found that there are quite a few out there. Many are the same chair just branded differently. I settled on the one from Gaiam, mainly for the trusted name.

The chair was easy to assemble, a no-brainer. It's basically a yoga ball that sits tightly in a plastic chair base. The chair does have a back, but its not one that you want to lean back on so it forces you to sit up straight. Apart from offering back and lumbar support, because your body when seated on the ball is constantly making small adjustments to remain balanced, unknowingly and without effort you are exercising a large group of muscles. By strengthening your body's core muscle group through "active sitting" you help improve your posture, which leads to better balance and better protection against back injuries. Moreover, because the ball can be removed from the chair's base, it can be used to perform back extensions, ab crunches, and a host of other toning exercises.

Almost a year going now with the chair and I'm completely satisfied. So much so, I got one for my home office. While I could probably use to still do the back exercises the chiropractor first suggested to me, the chair is most definitely doing the trick. No problems to report.

Here's some research info I gathered during my trials and tribulations with finding and purchasing the right chair for me:

There are basically four types of these chairs out there (the most popular). The manufacturers are:


Gaiam
Health Mark
Isokinetics
FitBall
Like I said, I opted for the Gaiam one but I'm sure the others are just as good (all have the removable yoga ball). But note that the FitBall chair does NOT come with a basic hand pump so you will have to purchase that separately. And they are all priced about the same ($70-$90 depending on shipping). You can also pick one up at your local REI.

And here are some tips to pass on:

Tip #1 - I found that when first inflating the yoga ball, it's better to use a pump with more pressure than the one normally included. Consider a bicycle pump (I went to the gas station). In doing so, you are assured to inflate the ball to its proper size.

Tip #2 - If your chair comes with locking wheels (like the one from Gaiam), consider putting the two locking wheels on the back. I found that putting these two wheels at the back prevents inadvertently locking them with my foot.

Tip #3 - Read up on how to utilize the ball to exercise different parts of your body. With this chair the benefit is being able to remove the yoga ball after sitting to do ab exercises, leg exercises, and arm exercises as well as stretching and balance training.

Tip #4 - Sit up straight when using your chair! No slouching!

Tip #5 - Have fun bouncing up and down!

Based on my experience, if you have back problems, a regiment that includes this type of chair is a must. And while back problems are definitely a pain (pun intended), they don't have to last forever. Good luck!








Richard has been working in the health and wellness field for over 15 years, most recently taking his knowledge and applying it to the masses. ?Come check out his latest website? exerciseballchairsearch.com exerciseballchairsearch.com which has additional information helpful to anyone on an exerciseballchairsearch.com exercise ball chair search.

No comments:

Post a Comment