Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Benefits of Effective Cross-Training While Training For a Marathon

We all know training for a marathon requires lots of running. But, other exercises need to be incorporated into your training regimen to ensure that you cross the finish line strong and healthy.

When I trained for my first marathon I ran at least 5 days per week and did little cross training. If the weather was bad I might do an exercise video, but I didn't have a plan for stretching or core strengthening. Throughout my training program I struggled with shin splints and knee pain. It was frustrating to deal with these injuries.

While training for my second marathon I was taking a power yoga class twice a week. I also incorporated weight training and some cycling.

Here is a sample week from my training:

Sunday - rest day
Monday - run 5 easy miles + stretching and core workout
Tuesday - power yoga for 1 hour
Wednesday - run 6 mile intervals + stretching and lower body weight training
Thursday - power yoga for 1 hour
Friday - 1 hour cycling + upper body weight training
Saturday - 12 mile long run + stretching

Remember that cross-training activities should be good low impact muscle strengthening exercises like swimming, water jogging, rowing, weight training, yoga, elliptical trainer, cycling/spinning, and walking.

Here are the benefits you reap from effective cross-training

Balancing muscle groups by working those muscles not used in running
Increasing cardiovascular fitness
Improving core strength and power
Decreasing your chances of injury by not running every day
Giving running injuries time to heal
Busting boredom by breaking up the monotony of running every day

Almost every reputable running expert recommends focused cross-training. Make it an integral part of your training and you will reap great benefits. My second marathon ended without injury and discomfort. Now I highly recommend a schedule of stretching and cross-training to anyone training for a marathon.








Angie Spencer is an avid marathoner who ran over 800 miles in 2009. Get the free audio gift, "The Seven Pillars of Successful Marathon Training" to help you get started with your marathon training today by visiting marathontrainingacademy.com marathontrainingacademy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment