Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ironman Training - Should You Stretch?

Stretching Is one of those grey areas that nobody seems to really understand. Sometimes I watch people stretching just before a race and you can just tell they are going through the motions--unsure exactly what it is they're doing.

I tried the stretching thing for a year or so and came to the conclusion that for me it was a waste of time. Actually more to the point, it did more harm than good. I injured myself twice while stretching and ended up missing training time.

There's really enough preparation work for an Ironman hopeful to do and I think you can forego the stretching routine. I think stretching might be a good thing if it were done every day, but ultimately that just doesn't happen. I watch young kids in swim clubs who stretch every day for quite a long time and that makes sense. Their bodies are used to it and it is part of their everyday routine.

It makes more sense to me to swim, bike or run slowly at the beginning of a training session for at least 10-15 minutes and let your muscles stretch out naturally by doing exactly what they will be doing in a few minutes at a faster pace.

That is my advice to you. If you stretch now and have a regular program and it works for you, then you should stick with it. Otherwise I wouldn't even start. Better yet, consider taking part in a Yoga program and learn all about stretching from an expert.








If you enjoyed my article than you will "love" my Ironstruck website that is full of inspiration and training tips for the beginner triathlete/novice ironman. come for a visit...... ironstruck.ca ironstruck.ca

Visit stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=741102 My Ironstruck bookstore and have a look at my tri books...Ironstruck...The Ironman Triathlon Journey" Ironstruck? 500 Ironman Triathlon Questions and Answers, And my Latest "Triathlete In Transition"

No comments:

Post a Comment