Thursday, November 14, 2013

Aging Ungracefully

I must be getting old. In my youth, the glory days, I could do anything. Stay up all night and still go to school and then to work the next day, repeat that all week and still go out on the weekend. I could go for a killer long bike ride, then a run and not feel it the next day. I could eat anything and everything and have no ill-effects.

But no more! I have to watch everything I put in my mouth. No more cinnamon raisin bagels drowning in melted cheddar cheese for breakfast (I shed a tear just thinking about it). No more carbohydrate only dinners. It's a sad day when you admit that.

I'm training for the Vancouver Half Marathon in May. Well, training might be a strong word. (I'm running consistently and upping the length of time I'm running as I go, I'm up to just over an hour and half right now). Anyway this past week I went for a great long run, the sun was shinning, it was crisp, and I felt great. It didn't even take to the next day until I was so stiff it hurt to walk up the stairs, and yes I did stretch after wards (say the yogi). I spent the evening leaning back on heat pack.

The next day I was in pain. So I did the elliptical for an hour and spent 30 minutes really stretching every muscle in my body. I think the lesson was don't take anything for granted. My 30 minute stretch (while watching part of The Silence of the Lambs one of my all time favorite movies I might add) felt amazing. Mental note - make MORE time for stretching.








This article by Gaylene Thoeny, a 500hr Registered Yoga Teacher, Personal Trainer, Lifestyle Manager, Yogi and mom. Go to [groundinglifestyle.ca] for more information. Gaylene specializes in creating a grounded life on and off the mat. You can also follow her online on Twitter & Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment