Saturday, November 16, 2013

Strength Training For Utility

Have you ever seen a big, strong dude that could bench press twice his weigh but couldn't do 10 pull ups? I don't know about you, but to me that doesn't seem very useful. Strength training for utility is about just that, usefulness.

The cool think about this, is that utility can be whatever you define it to be. It's about being more than comfortable doing the vast majority of the tasks that arrive in your day to day life. It's also about being fit and feeling good about your body and the way it functions. You do not have to be able to arm curl 80lb weights to be strong, you just have to get stronger in all tasks that arise.

So think about what you do day-to-day. Do you have younger children that you pick up and play with all the time, groceries to carry, lawn equipment to move, or grime that you have to scrub off sinks and tile? All of these take effort on your part, and some of these tasks can get quite tiring, but perhaps a little time to exercise will make these twice as easy and give you more time to do what you want. (Not saying you don't enjoy playing with your kids!)

So as far as what exercises to do, be creative. Pushups are useful and work well, but man are they boring! I would recommend a full body exercise called QM, or quadrupedal movement. it's a primal form of movement that works your legs, arms, core, and heart like crazy. It's very tiring, but the health benefits are insane. It looks a little ridiculous until you get fluid and controlled with it, but if self-confidence is a weak area for you then I highly recommend getting into a beginner yoga class. Personally, I have taken a few yoga classes, and trust me, it is a lot more than just stretching; it's tough! However, it isn't a workout that leaves you feeling tired afterward. In fact, you will leave yoga class feeling calm and energized, the perfect thing for stressed moms to take advantage of!

I have mentioned before that I think most people should take a martial arts or self-defense class. If this is your thing and you want a good workout at the same time, then I could recommend nothing higher than Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu. Both are very similar, and both have one thing exactly the same, they will work you into supreme fitness without making you look like a hulking giant. Plus, it's a competitive contact sport, which is awesome for men and women of all ages.

If you are getting frustrated by your lack of energy, gaining weight, or daily tasks, just stop. Get into a program that will push you physically, release some of that pent up stress, and give you strength and utility.








I'm Louis Hermann, and I simply enjoy being active. My career will end up being something with computers, but I have never neglected my body and all the joy I get from being strong. Stress is real high in these times so get outside and enjoy the world God gave us.

No comments:

Post a Comment